Rhode Island Popular Dog Breeds
The most popular dogs in Rhode Island are a little different from most other US states where German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, and Labrador Retrievers rule. In Rhode Island, the American Pit Bull Terrier is the top breed, followed by the Labrador Retriever, Shih Tzu, Yorkshire Terrier, Chihuahua, German Shepherd, American Staffordshire Terrier, Boxer, Maltese, Golden Retriever, and English Springer Spaniel.
Here are some interesting facts about American Pit Bull Terriers, the most popular breed in Rhode Island.
- American Pit Bull Terriers were originally bred for blood sports such as bear and bull baiting.
- Other dogs that have the same heritage include the American Staffordshire Terrier, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and the American Bulldog.
- While the American Kennel Club recognizes Staffordshire Terriers as a breed, it does not recognize the American Pit Bull Terrier as an official breed.
- American Pit Bull Terriers have a terrible reputation of being dangerous and are banned in certain cities (Denver), states (Florida), and even entire countries like New Zealand and Great Britain.
- There have been attempts at re-branding American Pit Bull Terriers given their bad rap. Name changes to St. Francis Terriers and New Yorkies were attempted in San Francisco and New York, respectively, but did not go through.
- American Pit Bull Terriers were once favorite family dogs in America. Some famous ones include Petey from Little Rascals, Tige the Buster Brown shoe mascot, and Nipper the RCA dog.
- Celebrity rapper Snoop Dogg at one time owned 20 Pit Bulls.
- The US Army has used Pit Bulls as a mascot, representing ideal personality traits like determination, loyalty, and bravery.
So, are you convinced that an American Pit Bull Terrier will be the perfect pet for your family in Rhode Island? Or are you leaning towards one of the other popular breeds in the state? In either case, check out the listings of ethical and responsible breeders in Rhode Island on Puppy Hero. We’ve done all the leg work for you and found the best breeders in Rhode Island, so you can bring home your new puppy with peace of mind.